Here’s a meal I like to make when I don’t want to or know I won’t have time to cook in the morning. It’s a vegan stew that is full of flavor and yes, healthy. There’s always plenty of leftovers and the flavors get even better overnight, so enjoy!
For 4 generous portions, you’ll need:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (bite size) = $3.99
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cubed (bite size) = $0.50
- 1 cup of red lentils = $0.74
- 1 can of chickpeas = $0.89
- 1 medium onion, chopped = $0.67
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced = $0.10
- 1/4 cup of parsley, chopped, for garnish = $0.25
- 2/3 cup of ground peanuts (or almonds, or cashews, your favorite) = $1.50
- 2 tblsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of grated ginger
- 1tsp of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
1- Super simple to do. Just put the squash, carrots, lentils, onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, ginger, tomato paste and some salt and pepper in a large pan (I use my Dutch oven for this).
2- Cover with warm water and let it simmer under medium/low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring once in a while to mix everything.
3- After 30 minutes, the squash and lentils will be tender and you’ll have a stew. Put in the ground peanuts, a little more water and cook it for another 5-10 minutes to incorporate the nuts.
4- Serve garnished with parsley. I also like to put some red pepper flakes on top, but I like things spicy.
Total for 4 portions = $8.64
Nutritional information per portion:
- Calories = 466
- Carbs = 71g
- Protein = 23g
- Fat = 13.2g
- Fiber = 19.1g
- Sugar = 10.4g